Java Mailing List Archive

http://www.java2.5341.com/

fop-users Digest 8 Dec 2012 13:23:45 -0000 Issue 2619

fop-users-digest-help

2012-12-08

Author LoginPost Reply

fop-users Digest 8 Dec 2012 13:23:45 -0000 Issue 2619

Topics (messages 36101 through 36108)

using FOP to convert RTF to FO
 36101 by: sareth
 36102 by: Pascal Sancho
 36103 by: sareth
 36104 by: Stefan Hinz
 36105 by: Angelo zerr
 36106 by: Maruan Sahyoun

Changing 1.0 - 1.1 : Is there a cache file
 36107 by: Kerry, Richard
 36108 by: Glenn Adams

Administrivia:

hello, I currently use FOP 0.95 and I would like to know if it's possible to
convert RTF to FO with pictures ?

I found two tools that can do the job but they aren't free:
http://www.rtf-to-xml.com/ <http://www.rtf-to-xml.com/>
http://rtf2fo.com/index.html <http://rtf2fo.com/index.html>

please can you help me ?

regards,
Sareth

--

Hi,

FOP doesn't provide such feature, whatever the version.
Just for curiosity: what do you aim to do with resulting fo?

--
pascal

Hello, in fact, I would like to convert any RTF file (with embedded pictures
for example) in FO file, then take them and merge them into one FO, then
rework FO to add some text for example, and print it into PDF through FOP.

Do you know any other free way to do this please ? I currently look at
iText, but nothing until now...

thanks for your help

regards,
Sareth

--

Hi Sareth,

Are you sure you want to convert the RTF to DocBook, then to FO, then to
PDF? To me, this would make sense only if you're planning to make
changes to the combined file later on.

If this is supposed to be a one-time conversion with no future edits of
the docs, however, I'd suggest to open all the RTF in Libre Office (or
any other office suite), make the necessary edits in Libre Office, and
export the RTF to PDF with the built-in converter.

Cheers,

Stefan

--
Cheers,

Stefan Hinz <stefan.hinz@(protected)

Phone: +49-30-82702940, Fax: +49-30-82702941, http://dev.mysql.com/doc

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.& Co. KG
Registered Office: Riesstr. 25, 80992 Muenchen, Germany
Commercial Register: Local Court Of Munich, HRA 95603
Managing Director: Jürgen Kunz

General Partner: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Register Of Chamber Of Commerce: Midden-Niederlande, No. 30143697
Managing Directors: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Hi Sareth,

I tell me why you must use RTF as format? Is it possible for you to use .doc or .docx format. With this format you can benefit with docx4j or Apache POI project.
docx4j provides utilities to merge several docx and convert it to PDF with FOP.

Apache POI provides doc 2 PDF converter with FOP. It exists too a docx 2 PDF converter based on iText and Apache POI.

I think if you use docx format you will benefit with a lot of features (with docx4j or Apache POI).

Regards Angelo

Stefan Hinz <stefan.hinz@oracle.com>, MySQL Documentation Manager

Phone: +49-30-82702940, Fax: +49-30-82702941, http://dev.mysql.com/doc

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG
Registered Office: Riesstr. 25, 80992 Muenchen, Germany
Commercial Register: Local Court Of Munich, HRA 95603
Managing Director: Jürgen Kunz

General Partner: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Register Of Chamber Of Commerce: Midden-Niederlande, No. 30143697
Managing Directors: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Hi Sareth,

OpenOffice can also be automated to convert RTF unattended to PDF which can then be embedded into a FO document using FOP external graphics. If you need to make changes to the RTF you could also convert RTF to doc using OpenOffice and process the doc files. As was pointed out in a reply there are solutions using doc as a basis. There is also a download from Microsoft to convert WordprocessingML to XSL:FO. Using OpenOffice you could also convert to HTML and convert that to XSL:FO e.g. by using HTML2FO …

Kind regards

Maruan Sahyoun

I presume this is to be expected, but I'd appreciate it if someone would confirm it is correct.

I've been using fop 1.0 for a while and I've just tried running 1.1.

I find that the first time I run 1.1 I get a lot of font related diagnostic ("INFO") messages.  Subsequent runs don't do this, just giving a few messages.

Then when I go back to 1.0 I get the same effect.  Ie the first time I get lots of messages and subsequent ones don't.

Is there a cache of some sort being created on the first run that would explain this ?

Uncertainly

Richard.

Richard Kerry

BNCS Engineer

T: +44 (0)20 82259063

M: +44 (0)7812 325518

Room EBX 301, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ

richard.kerry@atos.net

uk.atos.net

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Correct. There is a font cache at ~/.fop/fop-fonts.cache. When changing versions, the serialized cache format can change (as it did between fop 1.0 and 1.1), which causes the cache to be rebuilt.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Kerry, Richard <richard.kerry@atos.net> wrote:

[...]

©2008 java2.5341.com - Jax Systems, LLC, U.S.A.