Java Mailing List Archive

http://www.java2.5341.com/

fop-users Digest 23 Dec 2012 14:09:16 -0000 Issue 2626

fop-users-digest-help

2012-12-23

Author LoginPost Reply

fop-users Digest 23 Dec 2012 14:09:16 -0000 Issue 2626

Topics (messages 36134 through 36138)

Re: How to find out why fop needs a certain font?
 36134 by: Pascal Sancho
 36135 by: Chris Bowditch
 36136 by: Alexey Neyman

targetrenderer set to MIME_PNG fails in fop >=1.0 but succeeds in 0.95
 36137 by: Milo van der Zee

FOP- Trunk - Nested tables with retrieve-table-marker
 36138 by: Bonekrusher

Administrivia:

Hi,

Yes:
FOP uses BATIK to render SVG, witch uses system fonts to render SVG text.
And
FOP uses fop.xconf to embed fonts in PDF.

So you need to declare fonts for SVG in both system and FOP config.

--
pascal

Hi Alexey,

On 21/12/2012 03:07, Alexey Neyman wrote:
> Yes, I want to understand how FOP treats the fonts in SVG (and, if you know
> that, how fonts are selected in embedded MathML via JEuclid plugin - we use
> that, too).
>
> We've had some font discrepancies in the past depending on the fonts installed
> on each developer's machine (in part, because some of the authors are on
> Windows machines and some are on Linux - so they're likely to have different
> fonts). Thus, we've decided to do away with using system fonts and use only
> local fonts (i.e. fonts checked out from the repository along with the
> document sources).

Understood. We have similar challenges too.

> On Thursday, December 20, 2012 03:32:04 pm Luis Bernardo wrote:
>> With SVG, fonts are more complicated. The font used in the SVG needs to
>> be installed in the system and needs to be configured in fop.xconf too.
>> The warning you got usually happens when the font is in the system but
>> not configured in fop.xconf, which looking at your example does not seem
>> to be the case...
> Are you saying that the font used in SVG needs to be present both as a system
> font, even if it is listed in fop.conf? What is FOP going to use then, system
> font or local font?
>
> If it is using system font, that's more than disturbing. As I mentioned, this
> completely prevents setting up a controlled environment with known fonts.

yes that is true. Just to be clear, this is a limitation of Batik, not
FOP. Batik uses the AWT Font system as mentioned by Mehdi and Pascal.
Peter is researching the possibility of changing Batik so that it can
use fonts defined in fop.xconf, but that is a long term project with no
quick fix.

Thanks,

Chris

>> If you want to get to the bottom of the matter please indicate what
>> version of fop you are using and what OS.
> FOP 1.1, Linux (RedHat Enterprise, 6.2).
>
>> Also, the use of metrics-url
>> is not needed anymore (and is not recommended) so you can remove that.
> I tried, it didn't have any effect on the warning.
>
>> I see you refer to the font file TimesNewRoman.ttf without specifying a
>> font-base path (which only works if you have the file in the same
>> directory you have your *.fo file).
> I made it so for this reduced test case. Originally, it was embed-
> url="../fonts/TimesNewRoman.ttf" - as I mentioned above, we want to have a
> controlled font environment.
>
>> Is that font file an exact copy of
>> the installed font in the system of the same name?
> The machine does not have a 'Times New Roman' system font (it's a Linux
> machine, it comes with a different set of system fonts by default).
>
> But why would FOP need a system font if it has the required font specified in
> the configuration file?
>
> Another question is, would embedding fonts in SVGs prevent FOP from using
> system fonts?
>
> Regards,
> Alexey.
>
>> On 12/20/12 6:44 PM, Alexey Neyman wrote:
>>> Hi Luis,
>>>
>>> No, it is not the case. In the FO I am using, fo:root has a font-family
>>> specified, and that font family is described in the fop.cfg.
>>>
>>> Actually, I traced this warning down to the watermark image specified for
>>> the background. However, that SVG does not refer to 'Serif' font, either.
>>> Can somebody please explain how does FOP treat the fonts in the included
>>> SVG files?
>>>
>>> I even tried to add a substitution from font-family="Serif" to font-
>>> family="Times New Roman", it did not help either.
>>>
>>> Here is the reduced FO file that exhibits the issue:
>>>
>>> [[[
>>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>>> <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" font-family="Times
>>> New Roman">
>>>
>>>   <fo:layout-master-set>
>>>
>>>     <fo:simple-page-master master-name="draft">
>>>
>>>      <fo:region-body background-image="url(draft.svg)"/>
>>>
>>>     </fo:simple-page-master>
>>>
>>>   </fo:layout-master-set>
>>>   <fo:page-sequence master-reference="draft">
>>>
>>>     <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
>>>
>>>      <fo:block/>
>>>
>>>     </fo:flow>
>>>
>>>   </fo:page-sequence>
>>>
>>> </fo:root>
>>> ]]]
>>>
>>> And here is the draft.svg:
>>>
>>> [[[
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
>>> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="80 80 600 600"
>>>
>>>     version="1.1" width="5in" height="5in">
>>>
>>>   <text font-weight="normal" xml:space="preserve"
>>>
>>>     transform="matrix(0.70710678,-0.70710678,0.70710678,0.70710678,0,0)"
>>>     font-size="250px" y="640" x="-315" font-family="'Times New Roman'"
> [...]

Hi Chris,

On Friday, December 21, 2012 03:50:43 am Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> On 21/12/2012 03:07, Alexey Neyman wrote:
> > Yes, I want to understand how FOP treats the fonts in SVG (and, if you
> > know that, how fonts are selected in embedded MathML via JEuclid plugin
> > - we use that, too).
> >
> > We've had some font discrepancies in the past depending on the fonts
> > installed on each developer's machine (in part, because some of the
> > authors are on Windows machines and some are on Linux - so they're
> > likely to have different fonts). Thus, we've decided to do away with
> > using system fonts and use only local fonts (i.e. fonts checked out from
> > the repository along with the document sources).
>
> Understood. We have similar challenges too.
>
> > On Thursday, December 20, 2012 03:32:04 pm Luis Bernardo wrote:
> >> With SVG, fonts are more complicated. The font used in the SVG needs to
> >> be installed in the system and needs to be configured in fop.xconf too.
> >> The warning you got usually happens when the font is in the system but
> >> not configured in fop.xconf, which looking at your example does not seem
> >> to be the case...
> >
> > Are you saying that the font used in SVG needs to be present both as a
> > system font, even if it is listed in fop.conf? What is FOP going to use
> > then, system font or local font?
> >
> > If it is using system font, that's more than disturbing. As I mentioned,
> > this completely prevents setting up a controlled environment with known
> > fonts.
>
> yes that is true. Just to be clear, this is a limitation of Batik, not
> FOP. Batik uses the AWT Font system as mentioned by Mehdi and Pascal.
> Peter is researching the possibility of changing Batik so that it can
> use fonts defined in fop.xconf, but that is a long term project with no
> quick fix.

A couple more questions:

1. do you know if Batik would still use system font if there's an embedded
font in the SVG? E.g.,

<svg>
<defs>
           font-style="normal">
    <glyph .../>
</defs>
<text font-family="'Times New Roman'" font-weight="normal"
    font-style="normal">Something</text>
</svg>

Will Batik use system font in this example?

2. Do you know how fonts are selected by JEuclid plugin for FOP (which handles
MathML)? Is it also using system fonts?

Regards,
Alexey.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> >> If you want to get to the bottom of the matter please indicate what
> >> version of fop you are using and what OS.
> >
> > FOP 1.1, Linux (RedHat Enterprise, 6.2).
> >
> >> Also, the use of metrics-url
> >> is not needed anymore (and is not recommended) so you can remove that.
> >
> > I tried, it didn't have any effect on the warning.
> >
> >> I see you refer to the font file TimesNewRoman.ttf without specifying a
> >> font-base path (which only works if you have the file in the same
> >> directory you have your *.fo file).
> >
> > I made it so for this reduced test case. Originally, it was embed-
> > url="../fonts/TimesNewRoman.ttf" - as I mentioned above, we want to have
> > a controlled font environment.
> >
> >> Is that font file an exact copy of
> >> the installed font in the system of the same name?
> >
> > The machine does not have a 'Times New Roman' system font (it's a Linux
> > machine, it comes with a different set of system fonts by default).
> >
> > But why would FOP need a system font if it has the required font
> > specified in the configuration file?
> >
> > Another question is, would embedding fonts in SVGs prevent FOP from using
> > system fonts?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alexey.

Hello dear apocalypse survivors,

I'm using FOP for a couple of years now and thought it was time to upgrade to version 1.1. Problem is that the rendering to PNG stopped functioning. It all still works with version 0.95.

PDF generation is still fine. The difference between PNG and PDF generation is the mime type of fop generated with the factory.
Strange thing is that the call to 'userAgent.getRendererOverride()' returns 'null' in version 1.1 and returned the expected PNGRenderer in version 0.95. Is this a bug or is something changed between versions in relation to PNG rendering?
From the debug info I see that the renderer does create a page. It seems like the link between the rendererImpl and the mime-type is not found. But where can I force that?

See code fragments below.

Thank you very much for any help.,
Milo van der Zee

some relevant code:
---------------------------------------
FopFactory fopFactory = FopFactory.newInstance();
FOUserAgent foUserAgent = fopFactory.newFOUserAgent();
foUserAgent.setTargetResolution(document.getPreviewDPI());
Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME_PNG, foUserAgent, out);
Source xslfo = DocumentGenerator.generateXslFo(document);
Transformer transformer = factory.newTransformer(xslfo);

SAXBuilder saxBuilder = new SAXBuilder();
saxBuilder.setErrorHandler(new SaxParserErrorListener());
org.jdom.Document dataDocument = saxBuilder.build(new StringReader(dataString));
DOMSource src = new DOMSource((new DOMOutputter()).output(dataDocument));
Result res = new SAXResult(fop.getDefaultHandler());
transformer.transform(src, res);

FOUserAgent userAgent = fop.getUserAgent();
PNGRenderer renderer = (PNGRenderer)userAgent.getRendererOverride();
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
I added this to my pom.xml:
---------------------------------------
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.xmlgraphics</groupId>
<artifactId>fop</artifactId>
<version>${fop-version}</version>
<exclusions>
<!-- FOP has wrong dependancies on the avalon framework -->
<exclusion>
<groupId>org.apache.avalon.framework</groupId>
<artifactId>avalon-framework-api</artifactId>
</exclusion>
<exclusion>
<groupId>org.apache.avalon.framework</groupId>
<artifactId>avalon-framework-impl</artifactId>
</exclusion>
</exclusions>
</dependency>
<!-- these two are to correct issues in fop dependency -->
<dependency>
<groupId>avalon-framework</groupId>
<artifactId>avalon-framework-api</artifactId>
<version>4.2.0</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>avalon-framework</groupId>
<artifactId>avalon-framework-impl</artifactId>
<version>4.2.0</version>
</dependency>
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
Some debug info:
---------------------------------------
DEBUG org.apache.fop.util.ContentHandlerFactoryRegistry - Dynamically adding ContentHandlerFactory: org.apache.fop.render.afp.extensions.AFPExtensionHandlerFactory
DEBUG org.apache.fop.util.ContentHandlerFactoryRegistry - Dynamically adding ContentHandlerFactory: org.apache.fop.render.ps.extensions.PSExtensionHandlerFactory
DEBUG org.apache.fop.util.ContentHandlerFactoryRegistry - Dynamically adding ContentHandlerFactory: org.apache.fop.fo.extensions.xmp.XMPContentHandlerFactory
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for Renderer: org.apache.fop.render.txt.TXTRendererMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for Renderer: org.apache.fop.render.bitmap.PNGRendererMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for Renderer: org.apache.fop.render.bitmap.TIFFRendererMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for Renderer: org.apache.fop.render.xml.XMLRendererMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for Renderer: org.apache.fop.render.awt.AWTRendererMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for Renderer: org.apache.fop.render.print.PrintRendererMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for FOEventHandler: org.apache.fop.render.rtf.RTFFOEventHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFDocumentHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.pcl.PCLDocumentHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.bitmap.TIFFDocumentHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.bitmap.PNGDocumentHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.ps.PSDocumentHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.afp.AFPDocumentHandlerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory - Dynamically adding maker for IFDocumentHandler: org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFSerializerMaker
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.XMLHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding XMLHandler: org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFSVGHandler
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.XMLHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding XMLHandler: org.apache.fop.render.ps.PSSVGHandler
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.XMLHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding XMLHandler: org.apache.fop.render.java2d.Java2DSVGHandler
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.XMLHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding XMLHandler: org.apache.fop.render.pcl.PCLSVGHandler
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.XMLHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding XMLHandler: org.apache.fop.render.afp.AFPSVGHandler
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.ImageHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding ImageHandler: org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFImageHandlerGraphics2D
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.ImageHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding ImageHandler: org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFImageHandlerRenderedImage
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.ImageHandlerRegistry - Dynamically adding ImageHandler: org.apache.fop.render.afp.AFPImageHandlerSVG
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.AbstractConfigurator - userconfig is null
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.AbstractConfigurator - userconfig is null
DEBUG org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo - Registering: any,normal,400 under F5
DEBUG org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo - Registering: Webdings,normal,400 under F170
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFRenderer - Rendering areas via IF document handler (org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.EventProducingFilter)...
DEBUG org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder - Building formatting object tree
DEBUG org.apache.fop.image.loader.batik.PreloaderSVG - Error while trying to load stream as an SVG file: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
DEBUG org.apache.fop.image.loader.batik.PreloaderSVG - Error while trying to load stream as an SVG file: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
DEBUG org.apache.fop.area.AreaTreeHandler - Current heap size: 171055KB
DEBUG org.apache.fop.complexscripts.bidi.BidiResolver - BD: RESOLVE: org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence@bc454f[@id=]
DEBUG org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager - Starting layout
DEBUG org.apache.fop.area.IDTracker - signalIDProcessed()
DEBUG org.apache.fop.render.bitmap.AbstractBitmapDocumentHandler - Don't know how to handle extension object. Ignoring: org.apache.xmlgraphics.xmp.Metadata@4ada6e (org.apache.xmlgraphics.xmp.Metadata)
INFO  org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent - Rendered page #1.
DEBUG org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractPageSequenceLayoutManager - page finished: 1, current num: 1
DEBUG org.apache.fop.area.AreaTreeHandler - Pages rendered: 1
DEBUG org.apache.fop.area.AreaTreeHandler - Avg render time: 11734ms/page (5pages/min)

Hi,

I am using table markers for printing "continuation" labels for paragraphs
and tables when they get split over pages. So there is always nested tables.
In the attached example my inner table spans over the first, second and
third page. The marker "PARA TITLE - Cont" should appear in the header of
the second and third page. However it only appears on the third (last) page.
I believe this is because the table-cell in which the nested table is, spans
more than on page. I am not sure how to get the marker to show on the second
page. This only is happening when my table-cell spans more than one page.

Here is the FO: output-marker-issue.fo
<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n37656/output-marker-issue.fo>

Current output:
Page one -> PARA TITLE
Page two -> PARA TITLE
Page three -> PARA TITLE - Cont

Desired output:

Current output:
Page one -> PARA TITLE
Page two -> PARA TITLE - Cont
Page three -> PARA TITLE - Cont

--

©2008 java2.5341.com - Jax Systems, LLC, U.S.A.